Monday, August 20, 2007

D.C. Boredom



Well I am sitting here in our nation’s capital bored out of my mind. You may be curious why I am here and my response is to shoot G.W.’s daughter’s engagement party (She recently got engaged). Ok I am kidding and to be honest, it would take all the gold in Fort Knox to have me rub elbows with those cronies anyhow. Seriously, I am here for a week long boring seminar and that is all I am going to say about that.

I have been reading much about wedding photographers who give up the rights to the negatives to wedding clients. Well many a photographer has grumbled about this and all I can say to you the bride is this. If it is good for you and your photographer is turning a profit does it really matter? What should alarm today’s bride is the photographer who uses “MySpace” as the only website for advertising their photographic services. Also, staying aware of the $175 wedding package because I will tell you, the images are most likely going to be terrible! Lastly, I recently visited a website for a Boise photographer who I knew was fired by a previous client of mine. Well, that site was interesting in that I noticed a link or two that was invalid and a mix of pictures that by all accounts, did not appear as though they came from the same photographer. Mind you, it takes a keen eye to spot that kind of stuff but nonetheless, my suspicions are most likely right! No I can’t say the name of the operation but she is a local girl and has recently changed her business name and her number (for the 3rd time). I say this to you because at the time my former client hired me, she informed me of how this particular photographer (if that is what you want to call her) knew little on how to operate a computer, was fashionably late to the consultation, and seemed SUPER nervous. Now if you saw this site you would not think that someone who promotes that kind of quality would be lacking in so many other areas. Before you ask, I have somewhat confronted this individual and the reason is simple. I love the industry and while I believe that photographers should be reinventing themselves regularly, it does not mean that it is ok to make the rest of us look bad but scamming potential clients. More on this later…..

Did some cool pictures and I figured I would share. Feel free to comment on them if you like

Drinks for all my friends,

Lance



No comments: