Thursday, April 24, 2008

Push Me, Pull Me, Or Hold Me In


Ok maybe I have just been on one lately but geez. I troll the Internet sometimes looking at Boise based photographer profiles and upon seeing their sites I cringe. I sometimes think people just run out and buy a camera and create themselves a "Photo Biz". Mind you, they seldom ever try new things and leave that trusty camera on "Auto" mode. C'mon already, don't let the camera think for you take some time and learn to understand those other little dials thus doing something that is way out there for a change. Maybe I am an ass but it seems as though nobody is willing to push the envelope at all around here. Their colors, poses, concepts are ALLLLLLL the same. In a perfect world we would all be different and thus feed off of each other like cannibals (Not Literally) but I guess not. At least the Sam Marvin's, Greg Simms, Russ MacDonald's and Julia Baileys are still alive and well. I would bet anyone who reads this that 50% of these sites I have visited belong to "photographers" who have no idea what split formals are. Don't start revving your engines yet, nobody crowned me Ansel Adams I realize. Just itching to see some new stuff and I figure 50% of photography is the mental aspect one brings to the table. The rest? Bullshit, Light, and a Name Brand that you cling to like it was your best friend. Did I say light makes up 49% ?



Bitches and Moans for All My Friends,



Lance

4 comments:

Greg Sims said...

Lance,

Thanks for the shout out in your blog. You should give me a call we can chat about the data base. It is sick man, seriously.

Have a good weekend.

Greg

Justis Photography said...

Thanks my man hope to see ya soon and yes I will call about the database for sure.......

Laura said...

Oh Lance, you ARE such an ass...just kidding. Good job speaking your mind. People should do more of that.

Julia Bailey Photography said...

Amen brotha! The only thing that sucks about racking your brain and soul for something original is that the non thinkers just steal your ideas. Then your thrown into this spiral of having to push yourself further once again. Its an endless, exhausting vortex.

Perhaps we would all be wiser to see this photography thing as business only and care less about anything than branding and money.

Sounds like a good idea, but i cant do it.

Ok, consider that we live in a capitalist culture that trains every individual to be a consumer whore. Most people shop at walmart. This mindset follows into the realm of photography and any other business out there. What more would be expected from the masses? People dont think. We that do just suffer for it.

Welcome to my hell...